Are you experiencing a broken air conditioner and feeling the heat at home? There is nothing more frustrating than finding out your AC unit isn’t functioning properly after turning it onduring the hot summer when you expect cool relief! If you find yourself in this situation, don’t worry. There are several troubleshooting steps you can take to identify the issue with your AC system. While some problems can be resolved on your own, others may require the expertise of a professional air conditioning technician, such as Royal Aire Heating, Air Conditioning and Solar located in Chico, California. Read on to see what you can do on your own or simply reach out to the HVAC experts at Royal Aire Heating, Air Conditioning and Solar today!
4 Ways to Troubleshoot Your Air Conditioner
- Check Your Thermostat
Start by checking your thermostat settings. Ensure that it is set to cool and not on the “Fan” setting, which only circulates air without cooling it. Then switch the fan setting to “Automatic” to activate the cooling system. Also, verify that the temperature setting is appropriate. If these adjustments do not resolve the issue, contact Royal Aire Heating to have a professional technician inspect the thermostat for potential failure.
- Check the Air FilterTake a moment to inspect your air filter. If it appears dirty or hasn’t been replaced in several months, it’s time for a new one.Because your system needs air to “breathe.”. Replace it with a high-quality filter that effectively filters the air. Regularly replacing the air filter is an essential part of air conditioning maintenance in Chico, California. It helps prolong the life of your AC system and ensures optimal efficiency.
- Inspect the Outside Condenser for ClogsYour AC system’s exterior coil, (they look like fins) known as the condenser, can become clogged over time. Debris such as grass, dirt, leaves, and other particles can obstruct the airflow by accumulating on the coil’s fins. Check the condenser for clogs, and if you find any, clean them. You can use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment or gently wash away the debris with a garden hose. Avoid using a power washer, as the high pressure may damage the cooling fins.
- Look for a Frozen Evaporator CoilThe evaporator coil is located in the indoor part of your air conditioning system. It plays a crucial role in removing heat and humidity from the air, cooling it before blowing it into your home. Occasionally, these coils can freeze, preventing your system from effectively cooling the air. Signs of a frozen evaporator coil include increased energy bills, poor cooling, frost on the copper refrigerant tubing, and excessive condenser drainage. Before you get out your screwdriver to open your condenser unit (which may void your A/C warranty) call on a professional air conditioning repair technician from Royal Aire to fix a frozen coil.
- What Else Can Cause Problems?In addition to the troubleshooting steps mentioned above, other potential issues that can affect your AC system include leaking refrigerant, leaky ductwork, and an aging system. You would be well served to have a professional HVAC technician, like those at Royal Aire Heating, Air Conditioning and Solar, address these problems for optimal results.
- Help from the Chico Air Conditioning ProsIf you’re facing difficulties with your air conditioner not cooling or encountering any other issues, don’t hesitate to reach out to Royal Aire Heating, Air Conditioning and Solar. Call us today, and our team of experts will promptly assist you in fixing your air conditioner, ensuring you stay cool throughout the summer